|How AkronReads Works
An Akron Children's Hospital employee encourages her
student as they read a book together.
An individual or Akron-area business or organization commits to tutoring
elementary school students in the Akron Public School system. Tutors must be at least 18
years of age.
- Volunteers commit to tutor one hour a week, usually from October to March. Tutors
generally work with the same student(s) throughout the school year.
- To accommodate busy schedules, two volunteers can share tutoring responsibilities for a
student. They can alternate weeks and/or fill in for each other if one of them is unable
- All new volunteers must receive tutor training from the Akron Public Schools
staff and undergo a background check if they have not already had security clearances
through their place of business. Both the training and background check are free of
- Each business or organization selects someone to coordinate the program at their
location. This person will also serve on the AkronReads Partnership Steering Committee.
- Each school involved in the program has a faculty member, also called a Site
Coordinator, that helps facilitate the AkronReads partnership. Tutors are encouraged to
work closely with their Site Coordinator to determine logistics such as days and times for
tutoring, parking arrangements and building procedures.
Yes! I want to help change young lives and
become an AkronReads tutor! Click here
Yes! My business or community organization wants
to join the AkronReads partnership! Click here